What’s happening with regard to chemical regulations internationally? Here are some updates we’ve prepared for you for July 2021.
Big changes are coming: customers already concerned about REACH and CLP
The EU REACH and CLP Regulations are under revision
Landbell Group company H2 Compliance is closely monitoring, and providing timely support to customers, for the upcoming revisions of the REACH and Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) regulations. Areas where the company has already observed increased interest from customers include assessing the potential implications of endocrine disrupters’ classification and polymers registration.
The aim of the revisions is to better support the European Commission’s commitments laid out in its 2020 Chemicals Strategy for Sustainability. The final proposals are expected by the end of 2022.
The Commission has published the roadmaps on the revision of REACH and CLP, which were open for stakeholder feedback until 1 June 2021. The REACH roadmap and CLP roadmap outline the issues to be addressed, possible legislative changes, and their initial impact assessments.
The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) is contributing to the implementation of the strategy and the revision of both regulations. Please see its new, dedicated webpage for this topic.
For REACH, the proposed changes include:
- extending information requirements
- introducing registration for certain polymers of concern
- introducing a mixture assessment factor
- amending data to be included in the chemical safety report
The intention for CLP is to add new hazard classes for:
- endocrine disrupters
- persistent, mobile and toxic (PMT) and very persistent and very mobile substances (vPvM)
- terrestrial toxicity
- immunotoxicity and developmental neurotoxicity
- persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) and very persistent and very bioaccumulative (vPvB) substances
ECHA will work on developing the criteria for the new hazard classes.
The H2 team advises customers to start planning for the changes now and to get in touch to discuss how they can help. Please contact them here.
Sign up for our monthly
report COMPASS here: